Daktronics Inc. (Nasdaq-DAKT) and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission announced today that the company has designed, manufactured and installed a new high-definition video display for the Coliseum. The new display towers approximately 40 feet high and spans 150 feet long, ranking it among the largest of those in college facilities, at the renowned home of University of Southern California football.
The high definition display is 792 lines of resolution high by 3,000 columns wide with lines of LEDs on 15 mm spacing. Daktronics displays incorporate excellent clarity and contrast of video images, multiple levels of protection from the elements and a more robust cabinet design with an improved ventilation system. This technology and its control system allow for complete flexibility in programming. The video board can operate as a single giant display or be divided into multiple zones (windows) to show a wide variety of statistics, information, graphics, animation and live and recorded video.
Some facts about this installation include:
· Overall size is 40 feet high and 150 feet wide, totaling 6,000 square feet of digital space.
· This makes it the largest LED video display in the state of California and the second largest in college football. (Source: Wikipedia)
· The resolution is 792 pixels high, exceeding the high-definition standard of 720p.
· It would take approximately 1,686 flat-panel televisions (at 37” each) to fill the area of the new display.
· If it were a consumer television, this display would be considered a 1,863” diagonal screen.
· Uses state of the art LED (light emitting diode) technology, providing superior brightness in direct sun light, with the capability to show up to 144 quadrillion shades of color.
· Lines of full-color red, green and blue LED pixels are on 15 mm spacing (.6”)
Also included in the project is the new Show Control system from Daktronics. Show Control provides a powerful combination of display control software, world-class video processing, data integration, and playback hardware that forms a user-friendly production solution. The new system is touted by experts as the best in the industry. For more on Show Control, visit www.daktronics.com/show.
“We look forward to a continued partnership with the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum,” Robin Hall, Daktronics Region Manager, said. “This new display will be a great addition for their fans and corporate partners.”
Daktronics LED video and messaging display technology offers a long lifetime with minimal maintenance and low power consumption, providing value and excitement for years to come.
About Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena is one of the most historic sports monuments in America. The Coliseum and the Sports Arena are under the authority of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission. The complex is supported solely by revenue generated from these two facilities. For more information visit www.lacoliseum.com.
Daktronics has strong leadership positions in, and is the world’s largest supplier of, large screen video displays, electronic scoreboards, computer-programmable displays, digital billboards, and control systems. The company excels in the control of large display systems, including those that require integration of multiple complex displays showing real-time information, graphics, animation and video. Daktronics designs, manufactures, markets and services display systems for customers around the world, in sport, business and transportation applications. For more information, visit the company’s World Wide Web site at: http://www.daktronics.com, e-mail the company at sales [at] daktronics.com, call (605) 692-0200 or toll-free (800) 325-8766 in the United States or write to the company at 331 32nd Ave. PO Box 5128 Brookings, S.D. 57006-5128.