Planar Launches a New Touch Screen Series to Address Design and Function Needs of the Retail Market4 min read
Planar expands its touch screen LCD monitor family with the addition of projected capacitive
Today at the 100th annual National Retail Federation Convention and EXPO, Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLNR) announced a suite of projective capacitive touchscreen monitors designed to meet the demands of the point-of-sale, point-of-purchase and public access environments. Easily integrated with a variety of point-of-sale (POS), thin client or PC systems, the new Planar multi-touch projected capacitive monitors allow for intuitive user interface, and accurate information input making Planar one of the most dependable and high performing touch screen monitor suppliers in the market. The latest addition to the PT-Series of touch screens is being unveiled in Planar’s NRF 2011 booth, #2750.
Up until now retailers looking to incorporate the sleek design and zero-bezel monitors had to settle for less responsive touch technology or pay a premium for high end systems.
Retailers know the importance of reaching a new generation of customers used to having access to information on their terms quickly and as easy as possible.
“A growing number of retailers are considering projected capacitive technology as an alternative for touch based retail solutions. Consumers are increasingly touch centric, accustomed to the ease of use the touch interface offers on mobile devices, in the home, and through public kiosks,” said Rhoda Alexander, iSuppli’s director of monitor research. “Retailers have been quick to recognize how touch enabled screens strategically placed throughout the store improve customer service without adding staff and provide a welcome speedy assist to busy shoppers.”
Architected from the ground up, Planar’s PT monitors are designed to offer end users the most sensitive and reactive touch technology available on the market today. Only a slight touch using a finger, gloved hand or conductive stylus is needed to activate the screen – eliminating user frustration that often is a result of slow or unresponsive monitors.
With the addition of the PT projected capacitive monitors, Planar now has a complete line of Resistive, Capacitive, Projected Capacitive and SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) Touchscreen LCDs each designed to meet the demands of the most high traffic retail environments. Planar’s touch screens are ideal for retail where employee turnover is high and training time is low. They also allow for quick, intuitive and accurate point-of-sale transactions. Touchscreens are also perfect for sales floor kiosks where customers can quickly and easily view product features and benefits if employees are busy helping other customers.
Key features include:
* Zero-bezel design. The zero-bezel design removes the constraints of a traditional monitor allowing users the ability to access 100 percent of the surface area. The design is not only visually appealing, but easy to clean.
* Pure glass surface. Going beyond style, Planar’s pure glass surface provides high optical quality and image stability in addition to superior dragging properties.
* Ideal for public spaces. The bonded pure glass and smooth touch surface is rugged and exceptionally durable. Immune to moisture and dirt, the PT series can be used in a range of public environments, including the rigors of high traffic public spaces such as commercial retail environments.
* Driverless. The projected capacitive units are HID compliant. No drivers are needed for basic touchscreen operation, but for advanced features, drivers are quickly loaded using the easy to follow, step-by-step instructions.
* Industry-leading warranty. Planar touchscreen monitors feature 3-year, 2-day advance replacement warranty. No down time!
* Virtually maintenance free. Projected capacitive touchscreen monitors have no drift and don’t require recalibration, eliminating downtime.
* Multi-touch capability. When using Microsoft® Windows 7 operating system, retailers have the ability to create an innovative sales environment using the benefits of multi-touch technology. With multi-touch applications becoming more prevalent, future application innovation is not limited to a single touch.
The PT series is available in standard widths of 15″, 17″, 19″ and a wide size 22″ and all come standard with an analog and a USB controller. Both the 19″ standard and 22″ wide models include DVI-D. Beginning in February, Planar channel partners will begin shipping the PT2285PW with the PT1585P, PT1785P and PT1985P available in April. For more information, please visit www.planartouch.com.
Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLNR) is a global leader of specialty display technology, providing hardware and software solutions for the world’s most demanding environments. Hospitals, space and military programs; utility and transportation hubs; shopping centers; banks; government agencies; businesses and home theater enthusiasts all depend on Planar to provide superior performance when image experience is of the highest importance. Founded in 1983, Planar is headquartered in Oregon, USA, with offices, manufacturing partners and customers worldwide. For more information, visit www.planar.com.
Ant Hill Marketing
Kristin Whitney, 503-236-3192
kristin.whitney [at] anthillmarketing.com
Planar Systems, Inc.
Ryan Gray, 503-748-8911